Monday, October 5, 2015

This is kind of Random...

Today I forgot the word for teléfono. In English. I tried so hard, but all I could remember was teléfono and phone. I was like "I know it's really close to teléfono, but it's not the exact same word..." and eventually I just gave up. To tell you the truth, I only just remembered it. The word is telephone. And I had to google it to make sure that I was right. I guess that means that my Spanish is going well. But it also means that I'm going to be a hot mess in IB English next year... Also if my grammar has been deteriorating, I'm sorry.

This is a Telephone. Or least, what Google said it was.

Anyway, that reminded me that the german exchange student in my USA district told us that her sister forgot how to to say "sock" in German when she got back from Exchange.
It's cool to think of all the advise they gave us all those months ago. It all seemed like "Pff. That won't happen to me!" But now I realise that they were all right.
Like the time the Danish girl told us that we'd have all the same feelings that we do in the US when we left.
Or when the girl from France told me that she wanted all of her family to come live with her in the US when I asked her if she wanted to go back to France.
It was all just so far away 10 months ago when I did my application. Back I was 3 years younger, parted my hair in the middle, and was afraid to speak Spanish to anyone. To think. That a year ago I had no idea what Rotary even was, nor had I even thought about this incredible thing that has changed my life. I often think what my life, what I, would have been like for the last year had I not said "Yeah. I'll fill out that application. I probably won't get in, but hay. What's the worst that can happen?"

This is that me at my first RYE conference in December. <3

It's one of my biggest reminders that the littlest decisions we make can have the largest impact on our lives. <3


1 comment:

  1. What is a popular flower in Chile? That should be your nickname because I feel like you are blossoming there.
    And to think, if I hadn't said to myself "Let her fill out the form, what are the chances she'll get picked?"
    Yeah, right. I knew you'd make I because, you're you.

    ReplyDelete