Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Green Pinnacle of Temuco

Yesterday I went to Cerro Ñielol with my host family. It is a super beautiful nature reservation on a mountain.  Cerro Ñielol translates to "Granddaughter hill". It's super close to the city. Like, when you come out, you're in the city. Which is super crazy, because it's a legit mountain! Well, a mountain to cornfield girl, but it's actually just a hill. If you walk into the park, it's free, and if you drive in, it costs $250 Chilean pesos for kids and $800 for adults.
In the park, there are hiking trails, a paved path, lookout points, a restaurant, a museum, playgrounds, and places to play sports. Not to mention the forest itself. I was actually recommended to this hill by a bunch of 8th graders. Which is a funny story. One of the English teachers (not the one I have) pulled me out of class one day and asked me if she could have all the 8th graders write welcome letters to me, in English, for her class. And then I would write one generic letter back to them. I of course said yes, and so I received around 30 adorable letters welcoming me to Temuco, and recommending me places that I could go. Cerro Ñielol was one of those places, and by far the one recommended by the most people. Now I can see why. It's really beautiful, and a nice reprieve from the busy city humm of Temuco.

My city is so beautiful.


This is the museum/nature centre. It was closed, so we didn't get to go in.





My amazing family! (Without either brother) We miss you Leo!!


I could have been sent anywhere, but I got Temuco!! <3
























After we got back, I made cupcakes with my host sister. Very USA. Despite the fact that I had to translate my mom's recipe into Spanish, and eyeball the measurements, they turned out super yummy! Also, at one point we flung batter all over the kitchen with the electric mixer, and apparently when you use milk instead of butter to make the frosting mix, you get more of a glaze like substance. It was super fun, and they were absolutely amazing!



1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful! Glad you had such a nice day to explore.

    ReplyDelete