Saturday, September 5, 2015

Learn a Language. Make a friend. :-)

When I was in 5th grade I took actual Spanish class for the first time. I sat there in class one day watching Muzzie, and I wondered "How would I think if I learned Spanish? Would I automatically translate everything to English?" And then by using one of the few words I knew "bicicleta" (bicycle), I determined that I would think in pictures.

This is Muzzie. He's infi-lingual and eats clocks.
I wish I were like Muzzie.

This conclusion may be partially true, it's hard to tell. But now that I speak far more Spanish than I did in 5th grade, I can crack the answer open more. 
I have a few friends (here in Chile) who occasionally talk to me in English. Or in Spanglish. Or just say like, one sentence in English during a normal, Spanish, conversation. The funny thing is that I don't notice when they do that until one of my other friends says "uhh, traducción por favor." It's the weirdest thing. I guess that when I understand, I just understand. I don't think in pictures, I translate sometimes only because I am not yet fluent, but mostly I just know what they're saying. English or Spanish.
Learning another language, and communicating with it is so cool! It opens up so many new phenomenons, and an entire new planet in the universe of communication! 
People who think that "everyone should just learn English" or that "you're in 'merica, speak 'merican" are dumb. I get were they are coming from, but we live in a global community. How about trying to learn their language? But, I do understand. I spent my first 3 days in Temuco beating myself up for not putting Australia as my first choice. It's so dumb now that I think back on it, but I really was tired of Spanish. Now that I am where I am in Spanish, I don't regret for a heartbeat making my top 5 countries all Spanish speaking. Nor do I regret making Chile my second. If I re-did that paper, I'd make it my first. 
I have learned so much by trying aprender español. I would recommend learning another language to everyone. Everyone in the entire world. 

Main world languages.
And yes I'm aware the words are in ***. That's kinda the point.
(+ you can figure the map out anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment