Wednesday, January 6, 2016

¡Hola 2016, Chao 2015!

New Year's Parties! Fireworks! Paper lanterns! Confetti rockets! Food! So, 2015 has been an amazing year. I have learned so much about myself and met so many cool people! Cliché summery of an exchange year, I know. But it is true. But, I hope 2016 will be even better. The best year of my life so far even. I mean, if every new year is better than any preceding ones, I think I will have a pre-tty nice life. Anyway, I was at the beach house with my host family for New Year's. By host family, I mean: mom, dad, sister, brother, grandparents, uncle, cousin... I spent Christmas with my dad's side of the family, so it only makes sense that I spent New Year's with my mom's side of the family. Right? Right. So...
     My New Year's Eve in Chile was fairly similar to mine in the US. But, in Chile, I had a New Year's Eve dinner. In the US we always eat lentils for New Year's (to represent money, and to bring luck for the upcoming year) but it's never a big deal. In Chile, it's like a Christmas dinner, only, it's for New Year's. 
     After that, we got all dolled up with the typical New Year's swag. Party hats, shiny glitter wigs, 2016 glasses, masks, etc. And we went down to the beach. We found a spot on the shore, and waited (like 5 minutes) until midnight. There was a DJ. We counted down until midnight, and then we launched confetti rockets, kissed everyone (like, chilean kiss on the cheek) and said, "¡¡Feliz año!!" They opened a bottle of champagne, and we watched the fireworks and danced. Other people on the beach launched? paper lanterns, so we watched those too. It was fun. And then we went home, the adults stayed up... and I went to bed... in typical Willow fashion, because I was tired. 
     It was a fun Año Nuevo. And I look forward to many, many more to come.

Family photos!!!
 I look like I'm eating the noise maker...
The paper lanterns that other people were launching.


Me posing wit my little brother.
I attached my glitter wig to my pony tale because it kept falling off.

Me and my host sister

that green thing is a firework. Sorry for the poor capacity of the zoom on my camera.

that's better

they kind of look like bombs...

this is my immediate host family (that sounds like it should be a thing...)

Me with my glitter wig.

This is everyone that was there. Minus my host mom, because she's taking the photo. 

:)

1 comment:

  1. Que lindoooo, que bueno que lo hayas pasado bien �� y espero que la sigan pasando excellent with your host family ;) jajaja besos - la Maite

    ReplyDelete