Saturday, January 23, 2016

Fact Friday #20- Adolescence in Chile

Age of Majority= 18

Minimum Age for Drivers License= 18

Drinking Age= 18: In most places, if you look like you are 18, they will sell it to you. But I've had chilean friends say that they are super strict about it. So we have our theories.

It's a lot easier because everything is 18. No exceptions. 


Penalties for illegal drug use: A new law in 2007 made the punishment for possessing any illegal drug for personal use anywhere from between 541 days to 5 years in prison.

Family Role Expectations-

Chile is very family oriented. So eating with family is a must. Chileans hardly ever get school work, and when we do, it's not graded. But we get a lot of tests, so mostly we just have to study. However, in my house we are expected to study for like a week before hand, but no one makes us. Teenagers are also expected to go to all family events, unless we have a good excuse to not go.

Behaviour with Guests-

When guests are over, I'm expected to go talk to them, like the whole time there over. It's a lot like in my house in the US actually.

Greetings-

Chileans may be very formal at first, however, they will quickly try to move toward friendship. Some common greetings are: kiss on the cheek for girl to girl, or guy and girl, handshake for guy and guy formal, or like an, um, is there a name for this? like a dude bump for informal. You should always greet the most senior person or the head of the household first.

Household Responsibilities-


I am expected to wash dishes after I use them if it's not a meal time, clean my room, and keep clean the upstairs bathroom and hallway with my host sister. Similarly to in the US. However, I am also expected to make my bed really neatly. To the right is a picture of my host sister's bed. Half the time I'm not even sure if I do mine right, but see Casa Mio en Temuco for a picture of my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment