Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Caves of El Palacio

If you spend a week, or even just a day, in Santiago, the first place that you will probably go is El Palacio de la Moneda. But for me it didn't quite work like that.
El Palacio de la Moneda is like the chilean Whitehouse. Well, not really. But it is where the president and her cabinet work. And it is Chile's iconic government building. 
So anyway, I have been to Santiago a number (a fairly large number) of times, and spent a number (a fairly large number) of days in Santiago, but because I was with my family members (who are from Santiago), we never really did any of the touristy things. I mean, I went to La Piscina de la Reina and I've been around Santiago, but those aren't exactly the touristy things. 
However, as it is a fairly large chilean icon, I mentioned to my host parents that I would like to go some time. 
And then I pleaded them nicely.
and I pleaded nicely.
and I pleaded nicely.
and I mentioned it every time we went to, or talked about, Santiago.
And then they took me!!

So some times you just have to be a little irritating, not too much, just a little bit. ;)
So yeah. We finally went.

It was really cool because we got to go in the guarded part of La Moneda. We didn't get an official tour of the whole thing, but we got a mini tour by one of the special Carabineras who was guarding it. We got to see La Plaza de las Naranjas, and they showed us the outside of where the President works. It was cool. I enjoyed it. How did we get to do that? Well, my host dad is a Carabinero (a chilean police officer) so he has his connections. :) 
We also went to the museum under La Moneda (which are the caves of which I speak of). The current main exhibit is called, "álbum Chile", and is a collection of photographs that tell the history of Chile. Or most of it anyway. It was really interesting art, and I loved looking at it. I could have probably spent an entire day just there. Plus, I always enjoy learning, especially about Chile.
Oh. I also bought some of those New York peanuts. Like the ones they sell in the streets of NYC that come in little baggies?? Anyway, they are a lot cheaper in Chile than in New York :(. And fun, random fact: the guy that started that company (the New York peanut company) is a chilean who moved to NYC. So swag chileans and swag immigrants
the first part of the museum
from afar
El Palacio de la Moneda, from an angle 
the giant chilean bandera in front of La Moneda

my adorable host brother <3 

the outside part, or lobby, I don't know, of the museum




um. entrence to the main exhibit
The Art.






The Observers. My host mom and brother. 



XD. me

The Mini Photographer.




Entrence down into the museum.

old Santiago


La Moneda from La Plaza de Naranjas


those are the special, white-wearing Carabineros

Some important fountain who's name I don't remember. Oops.

La Plaza de las Naranjas.
It's called that because those are orange trees that were a gift from .... some country.

If you look close you can see the mini green oranges on the trees.

a conferance room




the grand entrance

more of old Santiago




No comments:

Post a Comment