Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Isla Negra- Pablo Neruda's Inspiration

You may or not know about chilean poet, diplomat, and nobel prize winning, Pablo Neruda. Now that you do you might want to click the link. Oh, and you can also hear readings of his poems on Spotify, and I imagine in other places as well. Anyway, he had three houses. One in La Chascona (in Santiago I believe), La Sebastiana (in Valparaíso) , and Isla Negra. (oops. sorry. those links are in Spanish. but the pictures are still good). Isla Negra happens to be fairly... ish close Algarrobo, where our beach house is. 
I asked if we could go, like, every time we were in Algarrobo, so my host dad took us one day. My siblings, cousins and I. It is really beautiful and used to be excluded from other human life. So I can see why Neruda spent most of the end of his life, and wrote a ton of poetry, there. I think I could win a Nobel Prize too if I got to wake up to the view of the ocean he had!!! Ok. Maybe not. Or at least not for literature. But it is a really lovely vista
However, we only got to see the outside of the house. :'( There's a lot of traffic near the coast in the summer, even on the weekdays. So by the time we got there, it was pretty full. The next tour opening to see the house was in 4 hours, which I would have waited for. However, with three small, and fighting children, it did not seem like a very good idea. So, that was a little disappointing... but I got postcards! Which are very cool. And I got pins for my Rotary jacket. 
It was fun. But if you want to go (which you should) I recommend not going in the summer. Or if you do go then, to go very early. 







No comments:

Post a Comment