Friday, November 18, 2016

Consolation

I hadn't talked to my host family in a while. I'm one of those millennials who has a phobia of taking on the phone. I occasionally would just text my host mom or my host sister. But my beautiful, beautiful host sister calls me with messenger, and then she calls me again when I don't answer, and then she calls me again. Usually I just hang up and text her, but I decided on like her fourth try to answer. 

And oooh her voice! It was so good to hear her sweet voice. With its fast paced, Chilean accent, and the way it brings back so many memories. 

I miss her so much. I miss Chile. I miss all those other people from the life I led half way across the globe. Sometimes it feels like I was scooped up out of the Midwest and plopped down in Chile. Then scooped out of Chile and back into the Midwest. Leaving a hole. Like a transplanted plant. O algo simular. I have a role as a nerdy American student. A sister. A family member. And another as a gringa chilena. An ambassador. A friend. I can't fill both my roles at the same time, but when I'm talking to Camilla and doing Spanish homework simultaneously, I feel pretty damn close. And it's a good feeling to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment