Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Rotary Kool-Aid

This weekend, I skipped school and attended the 2015 District 6540 Conference with my fellow RYE people and about 130 Rotarians. Even though I was one of the only young people there, it was a good experience because I got to see all the other amazing things that Rotary does; such as, ending Polio, the Little Free Library program, Interact, Rotaract, shopping trips with local in need families, and establishing orphanages in India. It was really cool and as one of our speakers, Eric Niebuhr, said "I've got the RYLA fire in my belly, and have drank the Rotary Kool-Aid." I want to continue to be part of the Rotary Family by being in Interact in high school, Rotaract in college, and becoming a Rotarian as soon as I can. The Rotarians really do function as a family, and where ever in the world I go, I know that there will be a near by club for me to join full of committed, kind, amazing people. I also learned that there is a Rotary International theme every year, this year it is "Light Up Rotary".
I also got to further establish my bond with the RYE students, both inbounds and outbounds. Our relationship is special because we are all going through the same things. It's also different than most, because we have spent only four weekends together, but during that time, they never left my sight. It has been fun to get to know people my age from around the world, and the ones from right here in northern Indiana! (Shout out to these amazing people,  I love you guys and will miss you so much!) We only have one more conference left, Calvin College in July, which is sad, and not everyone is coming. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment