Friday, May 6, 2016

Easter Island- Day 2: Giant heads and a Salty beaches

On day 2 in my social evolution process and also day in Easter Island the most iconic thing we did was to go see the most famous Moai. First we went to the hill side where they carved most of the Moai right out of the rock, and then we saw the line of the 15 big Moai. You know, the one that you think of if someone shouts "Easter Island!!" at you. It is so cool to see them in real life. Because they are just so iconic and majestic. I've heard about them all my life, only learned last year that they were part of Chile, and only a week ago I found myself staring up at one thinking, "Wow. I'm actually here. And these things are actually real."
We also went Anakena beach. It's the most famous and luxurious beach on Easter Island. With it's fine, white sand, palm trees and overall stereotypical Caribbean Sea feel. I'm not saying that I have anything against stereotypical resort type beaches. I had a lovely time floating in the salty water looking at the Moai... and eating fresh coconut... and eating my lunch in a tropical hut. 
As being more of a Lake Michigan girl myself, I was once again astounded by how salty ocean water can be. I was having a jolly good time actually floating for once, but after a little bit it got everywhere!!!! It was in my eyes, my nose, my throat, I felt like a canned sardine. Ick. So, I went back to the shore and made a sea turtle out of sand. :) (which I neglected to take a picture of.. oops)
And the most important part of this.
I hated parties. I have thought for as long as I can remember "How could anyone ever have fun at something so god damn stressful?!?" You have to worry about not drinking too much, about holding you're ground and not being pressured into doing something you don't want to, about not looking like a socially awkward fool when you dance, and I have to figure out my new roll in the situation to try to fit in. This was one of the largest reasons why I didn't have half as much fun in Patagonia as I did in Easter Island. I was really worried about trying to fit in to the mold I thought was right, that I didn't enjoy myself to the extent that I could have. But on Easter Island, I was just who I am. And it turns out that people like the real Willow. That people respect the fact that I am painfully innocent in some aspects of life. And in the end, the mold I was trying so desperately to fill filled it's self. Once I stopped trying to squish myself in, the mold molded to fit me. And the result was that I actually had a blast, and now I understand why people like parties. ;)

here's where they made the Moai
lindo paisaje



our bus

one of the many places to find artisan goods on the island.
I bought 2 pares of earrings at this particular one.



toppled and weather warn moai.
knocked over by a waring tribe in the war period of Rapa Nui
history that came after the Moai.


one of the many caves of the island.
used by members of persecuted tribes during the war period
to live and hide.

<3


hay look! that's my knew RYE sweatshirt!
that's so cool Willow!
I know right. :)
I love it <3















biggest moai on the island.
It's like 23 meters long, but they never finished ti.

far away view of the famous moai


this one's special because it has a different
(and more humanistic) style than the other moai.
Like it's curved head and proportionate arms.





me contaminating the view with my USA flag


group photo

damn wind

that's better :)




this stone has it's own magnetic... power?.
So it you were to get out a compass and stand where I was when I took the photo,
the needle would point at the rock and not to the North.
It's said that if you rub the rock and make a wish, you're wish will come true.
But sadly you can't touch it now. :(



La Playa Anakena

where we ate lunch



this may have been how I got salt in my eyes.

there's one of the caves.
and if you look closely, you can see the moai.




Oh. he he. Me and my Laura taking a coffee break
in a cafe close to our hotel

and writing in our journals. :)

oh. and eating pie of course.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment